Brunello wine is very famous and renowned. It is a DOCG wine, a wine
that is guaranteed and controlled by the state and produced only on the
small hill of Montalcino south of Siena.
It is here that the famous Brunello di Montalcino is produced, made from 'Sangiovese grosso' grapes, but which the locals called brunello for the dark color of the grape.
Behind Brunello is a lot of work and years of aging, and since it is a
DOCG wine it must meet many rules. One such rule is that brunello can
only be produced in this hill topped by the medieval village of
Montalcino. In total there are 3500 hectares of Brunello vineyards.
Brunello can age for over 50 years .... But why wait so long?
- Departure from Florence at 9.00 am
- Along the way you can admire the unique and special landscape of the Crete
and take in the first comments on the region and brunello.
- Arrival at the first organic vineyard, where we meet the owner and while
enjoying his Rosso di Montalcino he will take you into his vineyard for
some initial explanations. You will then go on to visit the winery and
learn about all the work and the philosophy behind each bottle of brunello
while tasting it.
- lunch at the winery or in a local trattoria where you can taste authentic local food in a beautiful setting.
- After lunch we stop at another vineyard where you will visit the cellars
and again taste a rosso and a brunello
- Back to Florence around 7.00 pm
Included in the tour:
- English speaking wine and food expert guide
- wine tasting in two special wineries
- two cellar tours
- map of Tuscany wine regions
- a brochure about Tuscany and its wine regions
- olive oil tasting
- air conditioning mini van
- lunch in a local restaurant or at the winery
- a walk in a medieval town such as Castel Sant Angelo or Montalcino
- all local taxes